EDR security solutions from FortiEDR - An overview
Advanced attacks can take just minutes, if not seconds, to compromise the endpoints. First-generation endpoint detection and response (EDR) tools simply cannot keep pace. They require manual triage and responses that are not only too slow for fast-moving threats but they also generate a huge volume of indicators that burden already overstretched cybersecurity teams. Further, legacy EDR security tools drive up the cost of security operations and can slow network processes and capabilities, negatively impacting business.
As one of the most trusted endpoint security vendors, FortiEDR delivers advanced, real-time threat intelligence, visibility, analysis, management, and protection for endpoints both pre-and post-infection. It proactively reduces the attack surface, prevents malware infection, detects and defuses potential threats in real-time, and can automate response and remediation procedures with customisable playbooks. FortiEDR helps organisations identify and stop breaches in real-time automatically and efficiently, without overwhelming security teams with a slew of false alarms or disrupting business operations.
FortiEDR product details:
FortiEDR is one of the only EDR security solutions to provide both comprehensive machine-learning anti-malware execution and real-time post-infection protection. From day one, the EDR security solution automatically detects and defuses potential threats in real-time even on already infected hosts. The defusing post-infection protection layer controls outbound communications and file systems modifications to prevent data exfiltration, lateral movement, and C2 communications, as well as file tampering and ransomware.
With automated EDR security functions for threat hunting and incident response, FortiEDR eliminates the breach response time gap, dwell time, and alert fatigue. Additionally, the EDR software protects systems and supports broad OS coverage workstations, servers, and virtual machines, including legacy operating and embedded systems.
Please see the endpoint detection and response product datasheet for more information about these and many more Product features.
FortiClient unifies endpoint features
FortiClient is a Fabric Agent that that delivers protection, compliance, and secure access in a single, modular lightweight client. A Fabric Agent is a bit of endpoint software that runs on an endpoint, such as a laptop or mobile device, that communicates with the Fortinet Security Fabric to provide information, visibility, and control to that device. It also enables secure, remote connectivity to the Security Fabric.
The FortiClient Fabric Agent can:
- Report to the Security Fabric on the status of a device, including applications running and firmware version.
- Send any suspicious files to a Fabric Sandbox.
- Enforce application control, USB control, URL filtering, and firmware upgrade policies.
- Provide malware protection and application firewall service.
- Enable the device to connect securely to the Security Fabric over either VPN (SSL or IPsec) or ZTNA tunnels, both encrypted. The connection to the Security Fabric can either be a FortiGate Next-generation Firewall or SASE service.
FortiClient product details
FortiClient can be purchased with three levels of capability: Zero Trust Security, Endpoint Security, and Cloud-based Endpoint Security.
- Zero Trust Security: The ZTNA Edition of FortiClient provides the requirements for a remote worker to connect to the network with a minimum level of control. This edition enables both ZTNA and VPN encrypted tunnels, as well as URL filtering and USB device control. Central management via FortiClient EMS is included.
- Endpoint Protection: The EPP/APT Edition of FortiClient expands on the capabilities of the ZTNA Edition by adding AI-based next-generation antivirus (NGAV), endpoint quarantine, and application firewall, as well as support for cloud sandbox.
- Cloud-based Endpoint Security: The SASE SIA Edition expands on the EPP/APT Edition to add firewall-as-a-service (FWaaS) capabilities from FortiSASE services, including SSL inspection, intrusion prevention (IPS), web filtering, Domain Name System (DNS) security, and data loss prevention (DLP).